January 2, 2012

Amazing Grace 2012

I remember hearing that John Newton, author of the hymn Amazing Grace, wrote and used that hymn as part of New Year's sermon in 1773. Knowing this does put this hymn in a new light. I've been reading over the lyrics and verses 3 and 4 stand out in particular:

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.


The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.
I wish I could know what his text was for his sermon, but my guess from these verses would be one of these two verses.
Psalm 73:26 My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.

Lamentations 3:24  The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.

They are both good verses to meditate on as we enter 2012.





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this timely post! To answer your question, Kudos is closed, but Dunkin Donuts is still open. We enjoy going there too.

    Love you sis, Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete